As I said, sometimes recipes don’t turn out the way you want them. I got some beautiful baby eggplants at the Columbia Heights farmers market one Saturday and didn’t know what to do with them.
After some more facebook idea collecting- eggplant curry, eggplant parmesan, eggplant pasta, eggplant on a grill, eggplant with goat cheese I decided to come up with my own eggplant idea- combining some of these ingredients together.
Goat cheese eggplant lasagna
- eggplants. little ones. big ones. doesn’t matter
- fresh goat cheese- I get mine from the farmers market. These girls actually call cow milk cheese vendors cow people
- fig chutney (or any chutney, maybe even jam?)
- cream of mushroom in a can
- a nugget (again is that what you call it??) of ginger
- whole wheat bread crumbs
Cut the eggplant into thing slices. put olive oil in a casserole pan like this:
Now- some people enjoyed this dish. I think to me- I lost too much of the fresh eggplant flavor and the sweetness of the ginger and chutney overpowered the savory-ness that could be. Now don’t get me wrong- I am currently obsessed with ginger- but as my sister says: you can’t put ginger in EVERYTHING. So- lesson learned. Maybe next time I will substitute the ginger and chutney with some fennel, onion, and garlic. You gotta kiss some frogs to reach your prince.. or something.